Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Signs of Victory

I've been a little excited over the last few weeks as McCain seems to have surged past Obama and has momentum heading towards the debates. I've tried to keep that excitement subdued because many things can happen between now and then, but some anecdotal events have given me reason to start thinking victory.

I saw this article headline today and took it as a sign that Obama is in far more trouble than I had previously hoped:

"What's the difference between Palin and Muslim fundamentalists? Lipstick" - Juan Cole - Salon Magazine

A selected quote:

"Palin's stance is even stricter than that of the Parliament of the Islamic Republic of Iran"

I'm pretty sure that implying that a Vice Presidential candidate is more radical than the leaders of an authoritarian dictatorship, is only a hairs breadth away from the classic internet rhetorical crutch - "She's worse than Hitler". It's one thing for some wild-eyed crazy to stoop to this level of discourse in the comment section, but for a magazine that takes itself seriously, to print this sort of hyperbole is laughable.

Mr. Cole, you are a joke.

No comments: